January 13, 2008

9 The meaning of 2008

I got into an argument with a colleague about the significance of a new year. I had felt something special about the New Year, as if it brought me happiness from somewhere. However my friend disagreed and said that the only thing he felt in the New Year was a massive hangover !

I wondered if so why celebrate a new year at all. The only significance it seemed to be of a administrative one where each activity, each mail was recorded with 2008 instead of 2007. For that why celebrate birthdays,why remember anniversaries?
My guess is that we as humans look for those discrete points which give us a sense of where we are , how close we are to the beginning and end in the chaos called life. We We give ourselves the luxury to look at the past year and tell ourselves how well we have done. If we havent done too well, we give ourselves hope saying that the New Year will be better.

My friend was right. Each day was the same as the past and the future. Time is vast and endless and we cannot pinpoint a date as an inflexion point which will change everything for the better. Yet I would prefer to live in hope and say that this New Year will bring me Luck, that this day is brighter than yesterday.

No comments: